Wednesday 31 July 2013

Mariana

It's the end of July already - which means it's time to show you what I made for the Brit Pack Beaders challenge!

A quick reminder..... this was our inspiration - Dante Gabriel Rossetti's 'Mariana' chosen by Teresa



And these were the ingredients we had to work with - Claire sent the focal, a beautiful polymer clay flower made by Pippa Chandler. There's a hole going across the back of the flower. Teresa sent the clasp - my favourite ingredient. Lesley made these gorgeous bronze clay components - the sweet heart and the leaf connector are my favourites of these. Rebecca sent the ribbon and cord, and my contribution was lampwork and Czech faceted glass beads.


And this is what I made! 


My first thought had been a bracelet but I wasn't sure how the focal flower would sit, whether it would twist round too much. Then I remembered one of the projects in my Macramé, Art Beads and Wire ebook (an instant download in my etsy shop if you're tempted!) and decided that would be a perfect way of making a comfortable bracelet that would keep the flower shown off on the top of my wrist. The big flower and the mixed metals makes the bracelet very different from most of the jewellery I make - but then that is the point of challenges, isn't it? I'm really pleased with it, especially as despite wearing it whilst working in the studio all day it hasn't slipped round and the marcamé knots in the silk at the back of the bracelet make it really comfortable to wear. A successful challenge I think!

I'm off to see what the others have made now and I know they'd love to have you visit too!

Lesley Watt - Thea Jewellery - www.thegossipinggoddess.blogspot.co.uk

Rebecca Anderson - Songbeads - www.songbeads.blogspot.co.uk

Claire Braunbarth - Smitten Beads - www.smittenbeads.blogspot.co.uk

Teresa Hulley - Bo Hulley Beads - Bo's Facebook page

5 comments:

  1. Great design Jo and it does look really confortable...might give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! I would never have figured out how to keep that amazing focal from flopping around. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mix of materials - such a pretty bracelet and it looks super comfy to wear too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And so lovely to see the ribbon I sent out used like this - I love it! So nice to make something for yourself for a change, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mix of beads to work with, representing the Mariana painting. I just love those rich colors together. Your bracelet is stunning - looks so fun to wear and looks like it does sit perfectly on your wrist!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails