Wednesday 28 September 2011

BTW - and some help needed please!



Do you remember this gorgeous poppy cabochon from Mindy Macgregor? I wanted quite a simple setting for it with a nice clasp and not too much (if any) silver in the necklace section and so made a plain bezel setting and one of my poppy clasps. It had to be a poppy clasp! After all, they were inspired by Mindy's poppy beads! I sent them off for hallmarking at the end of last week. They're not over the legal 7.78g limit but I wanted my hallmark on them as the cabochon is such a unique piece. Anyway, I set the poppy this evening and then got out the silk ribbons that the postie brought me on Monday and chose a soft navy to go with it. I decided that a silver chain would be too much shine and distract from the poppies, and that a brighter coloured silk would be too much too.


My dilemma is this..... I had planned that I would use the silk double but now I'm not sure. Does it make the necklace too thick, too heavy,too much of a distraction from the poppies?


But does using it single look too little?


I can't make my mind up! I try one way and like that best, until I try the other way! T says it doesn't realy matter as when I actually finish it and put it on the website or on my stall at a craft fair people will only see what I decided to make, not the two options. Please ignore the ribbon hanging down from the cab in the first set of pictures - I had to put it somewhere and obviously didn't want to cut it! I had hoped to show you a photo of each option being worn, but it's too late for the light to be good enough for that.

So, what do you think? Any input would be much appreciated!

On a different topic, my college evening classes started last night. My first evening teaching since having Jamie and being ill. I was a bit nervous before the first students arrived, but it went great and it was so good being back and getting back to normal - whatever normal is! It was great to see so many of my students from before Christmas back again, and to meet some new people to introduce to the addiction that is jewellery making.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo

    I like it double, as it a thinner silk (Diane's I guess!) and the bead is of a larger diameter I think it may look a bit flimsy just single. I love your silver poppy looks fab.

    Whichever you decide will look cool anyway!!

    Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go for double 2 Jo - I think the weight of the cab when it's worn will work better that way. It's a fabulous cab and you've set in beautifully - I have a set of Mindy's poppies and I ration my use because i don't really want to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the double cord too Jo, it just looks better with the cab, which I think is beautiful.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer 2 also. Looks fab. I might even be tempted to try it with even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A truly stunning piece. Like the others, I like the two. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeh. Double for me as well. The setting and clasp really compliment the cabachon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I don't know how I quite missed this post but I'm with you, I think the necklace needs the double strand. It is stunning and I desperately wish I was rich enough to purchase! Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - that was a very clear and definite answer, and the consensus at the school gates was the same! I've finished it now, just got to edit the photos to show you properly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read every one and will do my best to get back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails